|Click on image for a larger view||Click on image for a larger view|
|Keel Bow, July 21, 2010|
Keel dry fit assembled, ready for shaping. My support jig sort of makes the whole thing looks more like a sea monster than a keel! My Weekender to starting to become a reality.
|Keel Stern, July 21, 2010|
Keel ready for shaping. Still looks like a sea monster from the back too. Notice the power cord hanging from ceiling in the middle of the garage. Power was never far away and no tripping over cords.
|Bottom Layout, July 23, 2010|
Bottom is two sheets of 1/2" plywood. The best I could get was B-C grade. Here scraps from the bow were added to the sides to accommodate the 54" width at the center. Cuts were done with a jig saw. We had to move the keel out in the driveway for this step. It looks more like an airplane than a Stevenson Weekender sailboat.
|Bottom Stringers, July 25, 2010|
Applying bottom stringers was a chore. They were very stiff and took a lot of shoving and clamping to get into place. They were dry fitted and pre-drilled for screws. Then dissembled, glue applied and re-screwed into place. Process took me over six hours. The ends were trimmed later to fit transom stringer and bow slot.
|Bottom Done, July 30, 2010|
The bottom was finished a couple of days ago but I couldn't resist seeing what it would look like sitting on the keel. You also can see some of the bulkheads waiting for mounting. Next is cut the deck panels.(It looks more like a sea monster all the time ...) I used furniture rollers instead of buying large casters for the cradle.
|Bulkhead Templates, July 30, 2010|
I laid out the cabin and bow bulkheads with cardboard before committing to plywood and cutting. I messed that up once and had to buy another sheet. Now I know what I'm doing!
|Deck Layout, August 5, 2010|
I wanted to use "bead board" siding for the deck as it will resemble planking. It's a bear to work with since the panels are made to overlap and the center is not where you think it is. Then junk gets stuck in the bead work. I never should have used that warped sheet. Plagued me later.
|Curves Layout, August 5, 2010|
Somehow the stringers wouldn't bend enough to catch very many nails which we drove into the station points. So we used a length of PVC left over from the sprinkler project a few years ago. Cool until we discovered we were making inconsistent lines. Oh, well, fix later...